As we have heard many times, “we are what we eat”. As we already know, nutrition is one of the main keys to staying healthy.
Here at MIAM, by taking care of what we eat we can prevent and alleviate a multitude of chronic diseases. In addition to also providing the food necessary for the proper functioning of our immune system, increasing resistance in acute infectious processes.
What are the healthiest foods?
Healthy foods are those that are good or beneficial for our health. Making the right food choices helps us to prevent disease and stay healthy. However, what is the healthiest foods?
There are three fundamental pillars to comply with what we would call a healthy diet: natural, nutritious, and anti-inflammatory.
When we talk about natural products we refer to those that are more related to nature. Foods that are as minimally processed and that human beings intervene as little as possible.
In this sense, the least healthy foods would be those that are highly processed, prepared, and with additives. Unlike those that are natural, processed foods refer to those products altered by the addition or introduction of substances (salt, sugar, oil, preservatives, and/or additives).
As consumers, we should keep this in mind and choose products that more closely resemble the foods that were initially in nature.
When it comes to shaping our diet, we should look for the most nutritious but least caloric options. That is to say, those foods provide us with a greater source of energy and nutrients.
An example of unhealthy foods in this respect would be refined foods since they provide us with calories but few nutrients. It is important to try to avoid this type of food as far as possible, as it can lead to problems such as obesity and malnutrition.
These foods are rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber.
The consumption of carbohydrates should come from whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.
In this sense, there are fewer healthy foods that, if consumed in excess, can accelerate the aging process, causing joint pain, fatigue, and damage to blood vessels. Some examples are red meat, white bread, pastries, fried foods high in salt, starch, and sugar.
What are the 10 healthiest foods in the world?
- Walnuts. It is scientifically proven that this nut helps reduce cholesterol levels, prevents cardiovascular diseases thanks to the fats and minerals contained in nuts. It also cares for your brain due to its nutritional properties, improving neuronal capacity.
- Blueberries are considered a superfood. Some of its benefits include delaying aging, improving eye health, preventing cancer, lowering cholesterol, protecting the cardiovascular system, etc.
- Eggs are rich in protein, containing all the essential amino acids. They are a source of nutrients that are recommended to be taken daily.
- Yogurt provides probiotics, necessary for the proper functioning of our body. They are a rich source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin B12 and some key fatty acids that the body needs to stay healthy.
- Onion is another healthy food perfect to avoid circulatory problems, fight cholesterol, hypertension and is diuretic.
- Beets are another superfood that helps prevent disease. It is also a great source of iron.
- Legumes such as lentils or chickpeas are excellent sources of vegetable protein. Both contain many nutrients such as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, iron and magnesium.
The key is in the balance
As we have seen, there are different foods in our nature with multiple benefits. However, an excess of any one of them could have the opposite effect.
The key to our health lies in maintaining a varied and balanced diet to achieve an optimal nutritional balance.